I tried to rewrite my module about mind maps to Umbraco, so here it is.
I created a test in IS (it´s also in my module), I think now it´s very easy for me because I create tests in IS for KPI22. But it the beginning it was quite hard. I use text editor for those questions and it´s quite quick when you know what type of question to use. 🙂
I hope my assignment is OK, but I am not sure about those instructions for the tutor. 😀 It´s quite difficult to do it for mind maps because every mind map is special and every technique for creating mind maps is individual and unique. I hope you don´t mind it´s in Czech, because originally I put it in Umbraco module which is in Czech, but then Ondřej suggested it would be better to put it here on the web. 🙂 So here are my instructions.
Instrukce pro tutora:
- Motivovat studenty, aby se toho nebáli a ukázat jim, jak se mapa tvoří na nějakém základním příkladě. (Ten asi ještě doplním do úkolu na web.)
- Je třeba si uvědomit, že každý student úkol může pojmout jinak, každý je jinak kreativní a jinak myslí.
- Jádro mapy by mělo být uprostřed.
- Student by měl postupovat od obecného ke konkrétnímu.
- Student by neměl používat věty nebo příliš dlouhá hesla.
- Mapa by měla dávat smysl, hesla v rámci větví by na sebe měla navazovat.
- (Mapa by měla obsahovat alespoň 3 hlavní větve.)
- (Hloubka větví by měla být alespoň 3.)
I´m sorry I didn´t create user testing scenario yet, but I´m not quite sure what to do and what exactly does it mean for us. How will it look like etc. 😀 I wasn´t there on the 24th… 😀
So I did a few changes, actually I deleted a few thoughts after Joseph gave me his advice (thank you 🙂 ). Below you can see my previous concerns, cause I couldn´t decide what to do. 😀
Pre-scenario This is my pre-scenario and I am not quite sure about it. Feel free to give me any advice and comments. 🙂
The main obstacle for me
is was to decide these ideas:
- Should I give students feedback and they will be giving me feedback continuously (after they finish reading module, after test and after assignment)? Or after all the testing?
- Should I do it all online (Skype) or „offline“ (café, library). I think it will be better „offline“. They can show me exactly what was wrong, what did they like or not etc.
- Should I be there? I mean, should I sit next to the student when he/she´s reading it, doing test and assignment? What if they will need more time for it then just one or two hours in a coffee house? They may be nervous when having me next to them… I think it would be better to send them the module and let them do the test at home and then maybe do the assignment somehow together?
- Should I ask them what do they remember? I think the test does it already.
Here is my final
- Ask at least two students to co-operate. I should find someone who doesn´t know anything (or little) about mind maps and who doesn´t use it. –> Pre-questions: Have they ever heard about mind maps? If yes, what. If not, what do they think it is.
- Send them the link to my module which I hope they´ll read. 😀
- Ask them
nowwhat is their opinion about the module? Or at the end? –> What would they change, what did they like or not, what did they have a problem with, where were they stuck, did they understand all of it, did they click on those links inside, how did they feel, did they really read everything or did they skip something?
- Students will try the test.
- Ask them about it?
Or at the end?–> Did they understand the questions? Was it hard or easy? What would they change?What types of questions would they prefer? Is the test even useful for them? Do they find it useful?
- Students will do the assignment. –> Alone
at home? Or with me next to them in a coffee house or somewhere? Should I help them with that? Orlet them do it alone and then give them feedback?
- Give feedback. –> Online or offline? I think offline will be better and maybe even better for me and more useful for the student.
- Ask them about the assignment.
(Or the whole user testing)–> Did they understand it? Did the get from the text what should they do? Was it hard or easy? What would they change?Did they like it or not? Why? Would they like to try something different (suggestion to another assignment)? What types of assignments would they prefer? Was the assignment useful for them? Do they find it useful?
- Post-questions: What do they think about mind maps now after the user testing? Is it useful? Is it efficient? Is it fun? What adjectives would they connect to mind mapping? Are they willing to use it? If yes, why? If not, why? What would they prefer – paper or tool?
I put those questions together in Czech here. 🙂